Welcome to Our Site

We want to communicate with you in all kinds of ways and so our postings will be many and varied! We do offer a weekly children's sermon and monthly Time Together devotional on a regular basis. You can find those through the archives as well as the Children's Sermons and Resources Tabs. We hope you will leave your comments and contribute to the networking of this site!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Children's Sermon Matthew 18:15-20 Pentecost 12A


Faith+Open: Gather children with you and a copy of the 10 commandments with you. Show them what you have and explain what it is.

Faith+Share: I am going to tell you a commandment and I want you to tell me if it's about loving God or loving people. Read all or some of the commandments and have them respond with God or People. The commandments are there for us to know that loving God and loving people are the most important ways we live together. Now, we may know this is important but let me see... raise your hand if you ever have a disagreement with someone during the day. Think of all the people you see in a day and if you ever have times that you don't get along.... I can tell you that I am remember that my brother and I argued probably a lot when we were kids. And we would often go and run and tell our mom--how many of you do that? We wanted her to pick one person to be right, but you know, she never really did--even when I KNEW that of course I was right! Instead she wanted us to work out. Do you ever hear those words to 'work it out'?   Today our Gospel story Jesus tells us how to work things out with other people. It's not always easy but first we need to tell the person why what they are doing is not okay with us. Then if that doesn't work we can go get help to work it out. And you know what--we are asked to do this with love. Wow. That's hard. I remember one time my brother and I had to hold hands while we were arguing, that sure made us want to figure it out quickly! Jesus asks us to work things out and to remember that the other person is a loved child of God just like we are--and Jesus promises to be with us even when we are angry or in a fight with someone else. You can take anytime in your life and Jesus promises to be there with you and with the other person. 


Faith+Prayer: God, we don't always like everybody. We don't always get along. Be with us when we argue and help us to remember to love. Thank you for your promise to be with us all of the time. Amen

Faith+Blessing: Make the sign of the cross together and say
God in my head
God in my heart
God on left
God on my right

Make the sign a second time together saying
God in my highs
God in my lows
God with me today
God with me wherever I go

***idea for using the 10 commandments is modified from Worshiping with Children

Extended resources: Worshiping with Children Year A Proper 18 has some excellent ideas and refers to two books that would work well to read for children's sermon instead of using the 10 commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment